Eczema is a common skin condition that causes rashes, dryness, and itchiness in the skin. Here’s a guide to make you aware of what eczema is, its cause, symptoms, and treatment options.
Eczema is a non-contagious, inflammatory skin condition that leads to dryness, rashes, and itching of the skin. These inflamed patches of skin can weep a clear fluid when scratched.
There are several types of eczema, each with unique triggers that can affect your skin’s barrier functions, including atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, dyshidrotic eczema, and neurodermatitis.
What Causes Eczema?
The exact cause of eczema has not yet been discovered by experts. However, many researchers believe that many factors increase the chance of developing eczema in the human body. Let’s discuss some of the factors that cause eczema.
- Immune system – If you have eczema, your immune system overreacts to it and activates your body’s natural defence system, which creates inflammation. This inflammation causes symptoms of eczema on the skin.
- Genetics – Eczema can also occur in your body if your family has a history of eczema or dermatitis. A person must be at high risk of eczema if there’s a family history of asthma, hay fever, or allergies.
- Environment – Many environmental factors also increase the chance of developing eczemas, such as irritants like soap, detergent, meat, and vegetables, and common allergies from dust, pets, pollen, or stress. Other than that, hormonal imbalances can also lead to eczema.
Signs and Symptoms
Symptoms of eczema can be visible anywhere on the skin. However, it looks different for each person diagnosed with the condition. People with dark skin tones experience purple or greyish rashes on their skin, whereas pink or purple eczema rashes are visible on people of light skin tones.
Some of the common symptoms of eczema include:
- Dry & itchy skin
- Thick, leathery patches
- Skin rash
- Bumps on the skin
- Crusted or weeping sores
- Sudden inflammation or flare-ups
- Skin areas, prone to infections
Eczema is a non-contagious disease, which means you can’t catch it by coming in contact with the infected person. It is usually hereditary which means it transfers within families. Eczema almost always includes itching of the skin. Many people experience mild to moderate levels of itching. However, scratching the infected skin can lead to skin infections.
Treatment options for Eczema
According to Ayurveda, every person has three fundamental energies, or doshas: vata, pitta, and kapha, and for good health, your doshas must be in balance.
Eczema is believed to develop in the body when your doshas are out of balance. Hence, treatments for eczema can eliminate the toxins that lead to the disease’s symptoms.
One of the most popular treatments for eczema includes panchakarma therapy. This method also treats other skin conditions like psoriasis and acne.
Panchakarma therapy is a specialised treatment done for the internal purification of the body through five procedures; Vamana, Virechana, Vasti, Nasya, and Raktmokshana.
Benefits of Panchakarma Therapy
- Eliminates toxins accumulated in the body
- Recharges the body, mind, and soul
- Improves immunity and boosts strength
- Balances the doshas in the body
Eczema can also be treated with the help of herbal remedies that have no side effects and are completely natural. Several of these remedies have anti-inflammatory and cooling properties that can help manage and improve the symptoms of eczema.
Eczema is a chronic skin ailment that causes itchy, dry skin with red patches and bumps in the infected regions. It can affect various body parts like eyelids, scalps, heads, and legs.
Eczema can be an uncomfortable and challenging condition for a person to live with. However, there are many eczema treatment, including panchakarma therapy and lifestyle changes that can reduce the symptoms of eczema and provide relief.
Panchakarma therapy is one of the most trusted treatments for eczema as it removes toxins from the body. Looking for the best Panchakarma centre in Dharwad? Reach out to Ayursparsh Clinic and Panchakarma Centre, a renowned wellness centre known for treating skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
Get a consultation with Dr. Rashmi Patil, in Dharwad, Karnataka, to get the best treatment for skin diseases.